Our extensive testing of reload performance of QlikView 12 has shown that of the several hundred documents tested, 90% show reload performance which is within 5% of the reload times of QlikView 11.20 SR12. 5% of documents showed an increase in reload times and 5% of documents showed a decrease in reload times. If your document scripts tend to follow a similar pattern of script and function usage, you may find that performance is affected in the same manner in general, i.e. if you see poor performance and all your document scripts are quite similar then overall performance may suffer and vice versa.
Here are a few changes which should be made to your documents to see if QV12 reload performance improves:
- Turn off script logging in the affected document and run the reload again.
- If possible, replace Joins with Keep statements.
If you are still seeing unacceptable performance, you can install the following patch on your Server/Publisher machine. This will swap out the QVB.exe file from QV12 and replace it with the QVB.exe from QlikView 11.20 SR12. This has been extensively tested and there are no compatibility issues. Please note, some security hardening changes made in QV12 will be impacted when using the QVB from 11.20, however this is not to say that 11.20 is not secure, just that QV12 is super secure!Swapping out the QVB.exe from QV12 with QVB.exe from 11.20 SR12 Patch
In Server/Publisher, in the event you are suffering from poor reload performance with QV12, you can download and install the following patch on machines which run document reloads. Instructions are below:
- Make sure there are no tasks running (this batch file will kill all running QVB.exe processes)
- Download the Replacement_qvb_V1.exe zip file and save it to your Server/Publisher machine. This must be done on each machine doing reloads. http://da3hntz84uekx.cloudfront.net/qlikview/12.00/patch/Replacement_qvb/Replacement_qvb_V1.exe
- Right click on the .exe file and select "Run as administrator" (you must do this otherwise it will fail to stop the Distribution Service and copy the files)
- Agree to the T&Cs of the patch file
- A command window will open
- The Distribution Service will be stopped
- The machine registry will be read to determine the location of the existing QVB.exe file
- A backup copy of the existing QVB.exe will be made and called QVB.exe.bak
- The QVB.exe from QlikView 11.20 SR12 will be placed in the same folder
- The Distribution Service will be restarted. Verify that the service starts.
- Manually check the existence of the "new" QVB file and backup. Note the file dates are different
You can now run your Server/Publisher reload tasks to verify that performance is restored to 11.20 SR12 levels. Should you need to revert the QVB to QV12, you can do so by running the RestoreQVB.bat file (as administrator) which has been placed in C:\Program Files\QlikView by the above zip and batch file. This will undo the changes carried out above and restore the system to QV12 standard.
Note this batch file will not affect reloads done using QV12 Desktop. If you wish to run QlikView 12 Desktop alongside QlikView 11.20 Desktop, you can do so but you will need to follow the instructions in [this] article.