Failed upgrade of Qlik Sense due to superuser password validation
Article Number: 000015656 | Last Modified: 2020/03/04
The error "Superuser password validation failure.
" is displayed during an upgrade.
- Qlik Sense Enterprise 2.2
When upgrading Qlik Sense, if all services are stopped, then an incorrect superuser password will cause the install to fail and additionally remove the C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL directory.
Due to the removal of the directory by the PostgreSQL installer component, there will be no utilities to connect to the PostgreSQL database in order to change the superuser password.
- If this is a multi-node environment, take down all other nodes to prevent syncing between nodes running different versions of Qlik Sense.
- Uninstall the current version of Qlik Sense, but do not remove Qlik Sense root and server certificates, and data folders. This will ensure that the Apps, Qlik Sense Repository Database, the self-signed certificates used for inter-service communication, and configuration in C:\ProgramData\Qlik\Sense is not removed.
- Rename C:\ProgramData\Qlik\Sense to C:\ProgramData\Qlik\Sense-old
- Reinstall the version of Qlik Sense that was previously installed.
- Do not allow services to start when the setup is complete:
- Once Qlik Sense is installed, rename
- C:\ProgramData\Qlik\Sense to C:\ProgramData\Qlik\Sense-reinstall
- and then rename C:\ProgramData\Qlik\Sense-old to C:\ProgramData\Qlik\Sense
- Follow steps in How-to reset forgotten PostgreSQL password in Qlik Sense to alter the superuser password to the password that the customer desires
- Bring services back online
- Verify that everything looks correct
- Run the installer for the upgrade package