In QlikView 12.30 the rendering engine has change from GDi+ to Skia due to different reasons like some deprecated libraries from Microsoft.
Please bear in mind, that Skia provided performance improvements over GDI+, especially in scenarios with rendering of charts.
Skia uses more RAM and CPU, but it stays within the Working Set limits. This is expected as Skia creates significantly more sessions and completes more actions which has a good impact.
There is also a known issue related to the QlikView Desktop Client where fonts may appear quite small and there may be rendering issues also when monitor in use is a high resolution screen, 4k etc. In cases like these it is possible revert back to GDI+, rather than Skia.Environments:
- QlikView 12.30 (November 2018)
QlikView 12.30 has changed the rendering engine.
We can change a settings on the settings.ini of the QlikView Server
and/or QlikView Desktop
to move back to the GDI+ rendering engine.
By default, the Settings.ini for QlikView Serve
r is located at C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\QlikViewServer\Settings.ini
For QlikView Desktop and the plugin*
is located in C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\QlikTech\QlikView\Settings.ini
Go to the settings.ini file and add the follow line under [Settings 7]:GraphicsBackEnd=0
For additional information regarding Skia Performance, see the following link to a Technical Brief:https://community.qlik.com/t5/QlikView-Documents/Technical-Brief-QlikView-November-2018-Skia-Rendering-Library/ta-p/1540421
For the issue related to the Desktop Client and rendering, one workaround is to follow these stesp:
- go to the QV.exe which is located in C:\Program Files\QlikView\
- right-click the QV.exe file and choose properties
- click on the Compatibility tab
- click the Change high DPI Settings button in the Settings area
- check the Override high DPI scaling behavior and also change the dropdown value to System (Enhanced) option
- close out of all dialogs and restart the Desktop Client
* please note: the 32-bit version of the plugin currently still uses the GDI+ library. More details in Clarification regarding new Skia rendering engine and IE Plugin