Advanced troubleshooting of the GRPC and or CEF Error Issues:
Charts should be exportable to an NPrinting report if in Qlik Sense:
Keep in Mind:
- Assistance/suggestions mode is disabled
- The chart is a supported 3rd party extension and configured correctly as per specification (see "References" section)
- NPrinting June 2018 and higher versions
- Check that there is no certificate FQDN mismatch between the NP server and the Qlik Sense server. (this can be resolved by resolution 1)
- Check that the Qlik Sense objects and or Qlik Sense visualization used in your NPrinting report are supported as per the "Keep in Mind" section above
- Check if HTTP is used in the Proxy field of the NPrinting Connection to the Qlik Sense app in the 'Proxy Address' field. If yes, see article
- Check that the Qlik Sense Proxy default 'https://' listening port settings has not been changed. Open the following link for more information:
- Check for the use of a Qlik Sense proxy 'prefix' in the QS QMC. If one exists, via the NP web console, the prefix must be added to the NP connection string ie: https://qlikserver1.qlik.com/qlik
- If you have a version of NPrinting prior to June 2018 (April 2018 and lower versions), please upgrade to the most recent version of NPrinting to ensure that the following log file folder becomes available "reporting_web_renderer_logs" as well as to leverage the most recent performance enhancements, product defect fixes and improved logging information
Zip and upload C:\ProgramData\NPrinting\Logs\reporting_web_renderer_logs folder to your Qlik Support case.
- Check the NP logs for 'Websocket' errors. If found check this article to resolve that issue.
- If the issue persists after checking all points above, please check the solutions in the resolutions section of this article.
- It may be useful to Enable performance logging on the Qlik Sense server to verify if it is being heavily taxed while NPrinting reports and or report publish tasks etc are being executed.
Possible resolutions if the issue is not related to Chart Assistance or Unsupported 3rd party or incorrectly configured extensions:
- Fully Qualified Domain Name path or some other parameter of the original Qlik Sense server certificates may have changed. Use the following article to resolve this issue:
! To ensure editing the correct file, please do the following before proceeding as directed below:
- Open windows File Explorer
- Click 'View' tab
- In 'Show/Hide' area of the 'View' ribbon, Click checkbox "File Name Extensions" in order to show the full file name
: Switch to a Dedicated NPrinting Service Account or Upgrade to NPrinting June 2019 release or later.! If you are running NPrinting June 2019 release or newer versions, this step can be skipped
If you are using the Qlik Sense ROOTADMIN account as the identity in your NPrinting connections, switch to the NPrinting service account as the identity for your NPrinting Connections. Ensure that your Dedicated NPrinting service account has a token assigned to it. Using the QS ROOTADMIN has been found to cause conflicts with concurrent Qlik Sense and NPrinting Tasks and other background executions.
If a dedicated NP service account is not available, you may need to configure one and perform the following configuration steps before using it:
- Add the new NP service account to the local administrators group on the NPrinting server
- Ensure the new service account is made to be ROOTADMIN on the Qlik Sense server (attempt to log on just once with the new service account to view the new account in the Qlik Sense QMC 'users' list
- Assign a token (or analyzer license) to the new NPrinting service account
- Log on to the NPrinting server with the NPrinting server service account and re-import the Qlik Sense certificates Installing Qlik Sense certificates
- Update the three NPrinting services to use the new NPrinting service account: NPrinting Engine, NPrinting Scheduler and NPrinting Web Engine
- Update your NPrinting connection to use the new NPrinting service account
- Reload the metadata again and retest
: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/April2019/Content/NPrinting/GettingStarted/HowCreateConnections/Connect-to-QlikSense-apps.htm*Note: that If the NPrinting Engine goes offline after switching the three NPrinting services
, you will need to uninstall the NPrinting Engine software, delete the NPrinting Engine from the NP management console, then follow the steps in the following link to correctly reinstall and reconnect the NPrinting Engine https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/February2019/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/Installing-qlikview-nprinting-engine.htm
If the above does not solve the issue, go to resolution 3. (The NPrinting Engine should be in an 'Online' state before proceeding to Resolution 3).Resolution 3
If the NPrinting Error logging or preview errors contain the message "CEF rendering exception - "Buffer cannot be Null"
go to the following article for the solution:
! Please make a backup copy your config file before proceeding to either steps 4 or 5 below, to ensure reliable rollback to original file if needed. Modifying this or any NPrinting configuration file incorrectly will lead to abnormal system operation and behavior. This change must be done with great care and attention*Resolution 4
- If Resolution 1 and 2 above do not resolve the issue and all image export requirements are met, check and perform the steps below:
- Stop the NPrinting Engine and Scheduler services
- Backup/make a copy of the Engine.config file in "C:\Program Files\NPrintingServer\NPrinting\Engine" on the NPrinting Engine machine. (You can open/edit this file in Notepad)
- Open the Engine.config file
- Search for this row:
<!--<add key="webrenderer-remote-request-js-timeout-msec" value="30000" />-->
- Remove <!-- and --> to uncomment it. It should then appear as shown below
<add key="webrenderer-remote-request-js-timeout-msec" value="30000" />
- Change 30000 to 90000.
- Save the changes in the Engine.config file. (Be sure that the extension is .config and not .config.txt)
- Abort ALL "Running" status NPrinting Connection, NPrinting Publish Task and NPrinting On Demand executions
- Restart all NPrinting services
- Preview your NP report or run your NP Publish Task again
You may need to change the value to "300000" or higher
if you still experience the issue after updating this config file to "90000"!
Increasing these timeout values may lead to improved performance as NPrinting may simply need more time to execute tasks and report generation due to:
- Complex report requirements and or
- Network infrastructure stability and performance issues
If resolutions 1 through 4 have not resolved the issue, please perform the following steps.
Once completed the steps below, reproduce the issue once again in order to capture the additional tracing log information necessary for a deeper investigation. Then zip and upload the requested folder below up to the support case.
- Stop Engine Service
- Clear the contents of the log folder at "C:\ProgramData\NPrinting\Logs\reporting_web_renderer_logs"
- Open engine.config in the NPrinting engine installation folder (shown below) as a computer administrator domain account
! If one of the resolutions paths above that required a config file change has worked for you, please note config file changes are not preserved during the upgrade process. Therefore, you will need to manually make the same config file updates following any future upgrades until otherwise directed. Product release notes available with each new version release download will advise of any such updates.
- Add the following two lines just before the enclosing </appSettings> tag
- <add key="webrenderer-args" value="-l=trace -grpc-addr=127.0.0.1:51051" />
- <add key="webrenderer-mashup-qs" value="logging=net,ws" />
- Save the file (ensure that the file is saved as engine.config, not engine.config.txt)
- Restart NPrinting Engine service
- Reproduce the issue
- Zip the C:\ProgramData\NPrinting\Logs\reporting_web_renderer_logs folder and upload to your Qlik Support case.