Turn on Interactive Services Detection (a windows server service) in order to view the behavior of NPrinting in the background service (Session 0).
Note: Miscrosoft has fully disabled Interactive Service Detection starting with Windows 10 Build 1803 and Windows Server 2016 and 2019. Starting with these versions, access to Session 0 is no longer possible.
1. Open the registry editor ie: regedit.exe
2. Navigate to the following path:
3. Edit the 'NoInteractiveServices' REG_DWORD value from 1 to 0.
4. Close the registry editor
5. Start the interactive services detection service in the 'services' panelNOTE
: You may also now manage (start, stop, disable) Interactive Services Detection from the Windows Services console shown above. Stop and disable this service if you no longer require this for troubleshooting NPrinting background service issues.
6. When the Interactive Services Detection window appears on your task bar (flashing task bar item) just click on it. The following will appear on your screen.
You will then click "view message" to observe if:
- Personal Edition appears: this indicates that the NP service account has lost it's manually assigned user CAL. In this case, do file open in server to retrieve the manually assigned user CAL from the QV Production server
- Macro action: If a macro appears, click 'allow safe macros'.
- NOTE: if the macro code has been changed in any way, you will need to log on as the NPrinting service account and re-enable the macro as a 'safe' macro' or enable the macro via the background interactive service window.
These are the most common issues causing NPrinting tasks and schedules to hang.
Alternative solution: use a third party tool
to access Session 0 at any time