From Qlikview perspective, this article underlines a difference between "Dynamic Update"
and "Direct Discovery".
The contents is based on Mr. Petter Skjolden's explanation on Qlik Community
.Dynamic Update is only supported in QlikView and not Qlik Sense.
* It does not connect to external data.
* It addresses data located in-memory.
* Dynamic Update is not being actively supported since the last few years.
* With Dynamic Update any data to be updated or inserted has to be pulled in using either Actions/Dynamic Update, VBScript Macros etc...Direct Discovery works for both QlikView and Qlik Sense.
* It uses the connectors that comes with Qlik (ODBC or SQL-compliant connectors) to fetch external data.
* With Direct Discovery, the whole retrieved data is not saved into memory. Only single fact table even though multiple tables can be Direct Discovery tables.
* It is not a pure in-memory data model.