To prepare a silent installation, the MSI file has to be extracted from the QlikView Setup.exe file.
In relation to Silent Installation of QlikView Desktop, you have to extract the msi from the executable using one of the following methods.
The first method is based on the fact that most of installers extract their .msi files to the temporary files folder during the installation process:
- Simply start the .exe installer (for desktop).
- When you see the first prompt, e.g. a question about whether you want to continue installation, accept a license agreement, etc., do not click anything in this window and do not close it.
- Open Windows Explorer, type %temp% in the address bar and hit enter.
- Sort files in the folder by the modification date. The newest file there is should be the .msi file you are looking for. (try searching for '.msi')
- Copy the .msi file to a safe location before you close the installer prompt window (see point 2). Be aware that if you close the installer window, the .msi will be immediately deleted from the temporary files folder.
The second method uses a free third-party tool call 7zip to browse the content of the .exe installer file:
- Download and install the 7zip tool.
- Right-click on the .exe installer file, from the context menu choose 7zip, Open Archive.
- Do not extract all the files, just browse and look for the MSI folder within the .exe package contents. It may take some time to find the MSI folder, it is not always present directly in the root directory, its location varies between installers.
- When you locate the MSI folder you will notice that it most likely does not contain any .msi files, but file or files with no extensions and rather cryptic names, e.g. "132". Despite these misleading names, those are actually the files you are looking for.
- Drag and drop those files to a desired folder or select them and extract with 7zip. Close 7zip after that.
- Change the names of the extracted files so that they have .msi extensions.
- If there are two files, the larger is the 64-bit installer and the smaller one is the 32-bit version. Use the one you need.
To successfully install QlikView .msi file a parameter switch must be applied. This step is done through command prompt. However, the parameter switch should be possible when using other software deployment tools.
- Open the command prompt
- Navigate to the location of the .msi file
- Enter the following line:
QvPluginSetup.msi REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus