QlikView: Test mails can be sent successfully but task mails cannot, what to check?
Article Number: 000016485 | Last Modified: 2020/01/09
- SMTP server settings are done in QMC.
- Test mails can be sent out successfully.
- Task mails(either notifications or distributions) cannot be sent out.
- Task logs shows something like:
- Information Sending Alert mail
- Warning Failed to send mail to email@example.com
- What to do?
Test mails and task mails are sent out by different processes, hence extra settings on SMTP server side may be necessary.
There are a few things to check:
- First of all, successfully sending test mails means "Mail Server" tab in QMC is configured correctly.
- Follow article Alert emails are not sent when a task fails while test emails are sent out successfully to make sure tasks are configured after "Mail Server" tab configuration.
- If step 2 cannot fix the problem, the cause is likely on SMTP server side rather than QlikView side. Please involve the SMTP server admin and explain the following points:
- Test mails are sent out by QlikView Management Service(QMS), or QVManagementService.exe
- Task mails are sent out by QlikView Distribution Service(QDS), or QVDistributionService.exe
- SMTP server may be allowing QMS to send email but disallowing QDS -- needs to be configured by SMTP server admin
- QMS and QDS may be running on different servers, which have different permissions to send emails -- needs to be configured by SMTP server admin
- QMS and QDS may be running under different accounts, which have different permissions to send emails -- needs to be configured by SMTP server admin
- Change the QVManagementService.exe.config that is located at C:\Program Files\QlikView\Management Service. You will need to change <add key="UseSSLForSMTP" value="false"/> from false to true.
- change the QVDistributionService.exe.config that is located at C:\Program Files\QlikView\Distribution Service. You will need to change <add key="UseSSLForSMTP" value="false"/> from false to true.