How to generate Connection String without using QlikView
Article Number: 000006552 | Last Modified: 2019/01/17
When troubleshooting issues regarding connection to Data Source, it is crucial to determine whether a Connection String is correctly created.
Although QlikView has a built in wizard to generate connection string, this article tries to generate connection string externally.
Note: for testing Connection String, please refer to article #6551.
Follow these steps:
- Create a new TXT file, name it as "string.txt".
- Rename it to "string.udl". Note "Hide extensions for known file types" option needs to be turned off in Windows.
- Double-click "string.udl", "Data Link Properties" window shows up.
- Choose appropriate provider in "Provider" tab, modify the settings in "Connection" tab so that Test Connection succeeds.
- Hit OK to save the file. Then open it in Text Editor, the Connection String should be there.
- By default the generated Connection String does not include Password. In order to establish successfully connection, a clear text "Password=XXXXXX" needs to be inserted into the string. This is for test purposes only and should not be used in production.