What is QlikView Personal Edition?
What are the limitations of QlikView Personal Edition?
- The full version of QlikView Desktop (not a trial version)
- Free of charge and license key is not required
- With QlikView Personal Edition you are free to create QlikView documents for personal use
- It is possible to upgrade to a newer version
What is "Document Recovery"?
- It only works with local documents
- Cannot share your QlikView documents with other users
- Cannot load QlikView documents from other users
- Cannot import an entire document layout into QlikView Personal Edition, e.g. sheets, objects, security settings without data
- DO NOT attempt to open QlikView documents that you did not create, such as documents from the forums or created by a colleague
- Every document is technically saved with a user key, this key ties the document to the user who created the document
- In Personal Edition, users can only open documents that they have created
- We recognize that it may be necessary to install QlikView on a different computer (e.g. computer upgrade)
- In order to open documents created using the previous installation of QlikView, you will need to "recover" the documents.
- Recovering documents simply means that you are assigning an updated user key (old machine -> new machine) to these documents.
- When you recover a document, you are telling QlikView that you are moving this document to your new installation, and you will no longer be using it on your previous installation.
- When you recover a QlikView document created with a previous installation, it will apply your new user key to ALL documents created using the previous installation, and not just that particular document.
- Again DO NOT attempt to open QlikView documents that you did not create, such as documents from forums or created by a colleague
- Doing so will use one of your remaining recovery attempts, and once you have exhausted all 4 of the attempts, you will no longer be able to access documents that you have created and, from that point on, you will only be able to create new documents using your current QlikView installation.
: QlikView Personal Edition is limited to four recoveries per installation
.What happens if we acquire a full QlikView license?
Is QlikView Personal Edition supported by Qlik Support?
- The license key is applied on the existing installation, either through a proper QlikView Desktop license or by leasing a license from QlikView Server
- The QlikView Personal Edition installation will become a full QlikView Desktop installation without requiring any additional software
Known error messages:
- Users with a valid license key are entitled to support
- No license key? Please use QlikCommunity where you can find examples, ideas and answers
This QlikView Document was created by another QlikView Personal Edition user. Since you are using a QlikView Personal Edition, you may only open files that you created yourself. You may recover the file if you created it on a different computer, but doing so you will use one of your 4 remaining recovery attempts.
However if you recover the file, you will no longer be able to open files created with your current user key.
Do you want to continue and recover the file?
Yes, I want to continue (not recommended) Solution
Only proceed if it is your QlikView document, if you recently changed machine or recently upgraded to a newer version of QlikView Personal Edition. Please note that you will then consume one of your document recovery attempts.
Your installation of QlikView has exceeded the maximum number of document recoveries allowed for a Personal Edition license. To continue using QlikView you will need to purchase a full QlikView license. Please contact your local Qlik sales office, a list of which can be found at www.qlik.comSolution
QlikView Personal Edition needs to be licensed either through a proper QlikView Desktop license or by leasing a license from QlikView Server license.
Please contact your Account Manager or Contact Your Local Sales Office
This file is recognize as one of your own. However we must update the key in the document to reflect changes to your Personal Edition since you created this document.
The document will now be update and loaded without any data. After the operation completes, please SAVE the document and then perform a RELOAD. Solution
Follow the instructions in the error message; save the document and then perform a reload.