When a QlikView Desktop Client or IE Plugin connection to the QlikView Server fails, it may be necessary to enable Extended Error Logging to identify the root cause.
QlikView Desktop or the IE-plugin
- Open a QlikView document hosted on a QlikView Server
- Go to Help menu -> About QlikView...
- Right-click the V in the left corner
- Find "ExtendedErrorLoggingMode"
- Set the value to 1
- Press Set and Close
- Restart QlikView Desktop or Internet Explorer if using the plugin
- Open a QlikView document hosted on a QlikView Server to generate the log file.
If you cannot connect to any QlikView Server, logging can also be enabled in the following way, using the settings.ini file:
- Close any running instances of QlikView Desktop and the Internet Explorer Plugin
- Locate the file settings.ini in %Users%\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Qliktech\QlikView
- Edit settings.ini and In the section labeled [Settings 7] add the following line to turn the logging on:
- (To turn the logging off change it to: ExtendedErrorLoggingMode=0)
- Save the file
- Open a QlikView document hosted on a QlikView Server to generate the log file
The logfile created is called QlikViewError.log and can be found in %Users%\<User>\Documents
Please note: if you need to set his up to troubleshoot NPrinting QVP connections, ensure that the settings changes are done for the user running the NPrinting services.