Qlik Sense: Should I use an LDAP Filter when using User Directory Connector?Article Number: 000028607 | Last Modified: 2019/01/17
Question: should I use an LDAP Filter?
Benefits of using Sync all users and an LDAP Filter:
- Control the total amount of users that are going to be synced
- Control the users who could conceivably access Qlik Sense
- Able to bring in all target users and their Active Directory attribute information into Qlik Sense for use in License and/or Security rules
- Ability to test connectivity and sync result before creating User Directory Connector. See Qlik Sense: How to create a filter in Directory Connector(and test it)
- Requires maintenance / control over an AD group
- Users and their attribute information are only synchronized when/if a user accesses Qlik Sense
- No need to have control over an AD group
- In order to leverage attribute information for License and/or Security rules, a user with that information needs to have already logged in to Qlik Sense or the administrator needs to know the attribute information ahead of time.
- Not able to control total amount of users that are going to be synced.
- Basic principle here is: Keep user count low. Only fetch the users who are going to use Qlik Sense. Do not fetch users who are not going to use Qlik Sense.
- Depending on the size of Directory, too many synced users could result in:
- Slow Sync process. Sometimes it could even timeout before finishing.
- Huge Users table in Repository Database. This could cause slow restart of Qlik Sense system(more than 30 minutes in some occasions).
- Unnecessarily high memory consumption for Repository.exe(more than 19GB in some occasions)
- Slow Qlik Sense system due to high volume of data needs to manage.
- Once users are synced, it is neither easy nor fast to remove them.
- Not able to test connectivity and sync result outside of Qlik Sense. From troubleshooting perspective, it could be difficult to precisely locate where problem occurred.
- Qlik Sense Best Practice: User Directory Connectors: https://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-14708#
- See Qlik Sense: How to create a filter in Directory Connector (and test it) for guidance on LDAP filters
- The User Sync Settings checkbox checked (sync existing users) and no LDAP filter:
- The User Sync Settings checkbox unchecked (sync all users) and an LDAP filter:
Have a Question?
Search Qlik's Support Knowledge database or request assisted support for highly complex issues.Submit a case
Experiencing a serious issue, please contact us by phone. View phone numbers and hours by region.