Description of issue:
- During the installation of Qlik NPrinting a fatal error (0x80070643) occurs which causes the installation to rollback.
- Qlik NPrinting 17.0, 17.1, 17.2
: This issue does not apply to all recent versions of NPrinting
To resolve the issue, we suggest upgrading to the most recent version of NPrinting.
If you are still running one of the following and no longer supported versions of NPrinting:
- Qlik NPrinting 17.0, 17.1, 17.2
Do the following:
The problem could be due to various reasons. So far three different scenarios identified:
1. Repository password
When giving initial password for repository service, need to avoid special characters such as '&, |, /, \, $'. This will prevent PosgressDB password temp file to be created. The password needs to be less than 128 characters long.
2. System Administrator Permission.
Run as another user/ Run as Administrator sometimes won't assign full access to all procedures during the installations. To make sure the installation package has granted admin permission from beginning to the end, it would be better to use command line with administrator permission:
And run the installation package as a command:
3. Folder permission for Service runner of Repository/PostgressDB
The problem can be resolved by manually removing the QlikViewNPrintingRepoService service from Windows and
applying the required access right for Network Services account,
- Open Windows Command Prompt
- Execute command sc delete QlikViewNPrintingRepoService
- Open Windows file explorer
- Go to “C:\Program Files\NPrintingServer”. If it does not exist, create it.
- Right click the folder ‘NPrintingServer’
- Select Properties > Security > Edit...
- Add user Network Service and grant full control to the folder
- Rerun the QlikView NPrinting installation package
4: Misalignment with expected home drives during the install
It appears NPrinting expects the C: drive to be the standard home drive.
In cmd prompt, run the following to verify:
5. Still no success
If this workaround does not work, please follow the following steps to extract the individual MSI files from the QlikView NPrinting installer and install from them directly in order to create detailed log files.
Usually this is only necessary for the server, once that is installed then Engine installer usually has no problem.
Extracting MSIs requires tools from the WIX toolset that we use to build installers:
- Download WIX 3.9 or higher from http://wixtoolset.org/releases/
- Use the tool dark.exe to extract the MSIs as stated in http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26749207/extract-contents-of-burn-bootstrapper
Processing the Server installer should give you the MSIs for:
To install from the extracted MSIs:
- Install prerequisites: Erlang, RabbitMQ, Visual C++ redistributables, .Net framework. If you run the EXE package installer they will be permanently installed, so there’s no need to do it manually.
- Check that RabbitMQ is responding. See Qlik Help troubleshooting guide http://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/17.0/Content/Troubleshooting/Troubleshooting.htm
- NOTE: The line "remote . . .*" will NOT be present in the rabbitMQ command prompt output since it’s a parameter added by the server installer. The important thing to check is that you don’t get a “node down” response and if you see that you fix the erlang cookie file issue and make sure that RabbitMQ is responding before trying to install NPrinting 17.
- Check that no NPrinting 17 services or processes are still running
- Install Repo from QlikViewNPrintingRepo_x64.msi
- Install Server from QlikViewNPrintingServer_x64.msi
To install an MSI package and produce a detailed log
- Open Windows' Command Prompt as Administrator
- Execute msiexec /lv path\to\log\file /i path\to\msi.msi
In case of failure search for the first occurrence of “Return value 3” in the detailed installation logs. The details above “Return value 3” gives further details to diagnose the root cause of the installer failure.
An ALTERNATE to using dark.exe mentioned above to extract the MSIs:
- Run QlikNPrintingServer_x64.exe
- The setup program will initialize then come to the first dialog screen. Stop, don’t continue.
- Bring up File Explorer
- On the top left hand corner where you can search, find Qlik*.msi
- Copy the 2 files from the temp folder to desktop
- Exit the installer
- Now you can run the MSI files manually
Using the individual MSI packages you have now obtained you can then get individual install logs. Run each of the MSI files in order and check to see if there are any errors, one example of an error you may encounter is: ExecSecureObjects: Error 0x80070534: failed to get sid for account: .\administrator
Error 0x80070534 is a windows error code. Convert last four digits to decimal
0534 (hex) = 1332 (dec)
Go to command prompt, type
net helpmsg 1332
That returns "No mapping between account names and security IDs was done."
This may allow you to troubleshoot the install problem yourself, if you are unable to find a resolution this way, please ZIP the install log files and submit to Qlik Support for further analysis and troubleshooting.