Qlik Sense - Troubleshooting Upgrade and Patch failureArticle Number: 000045715 | Last Modified: 2019/02/12
It's important to understand the difference between upgrading and patching.
Upgrade:Moving from one release to the other. As from Qlik Sense June 2017 to February 2018.
An upgrade is only possible to a base version. The patch version cannot be applied right away.
Patching:Installing a set of fixes on the current release. Applying patch 2 to Qlik Sense February 2018.
When patching, the base version of the software needs to be already installed.
An upgrade or patching procedure may fail in one of four ways:
- Beware of a 'hang' with the splash screen just sitting there ... use your mouse pointer to grab and move the screen out of the way and see if something is behind it waiting for you initiate the patch install.
- Upgrade or Patch fails during the installation and the installer rolls back
- Uprade fails since the patch version is being installed instead of the base version
- Upgrade or Patch finishes successfully but you experience problems post installation (Can be "Unable to access the QMC for instance")
Before starting, please before upgrading or patching an environment make sure that you follow and understand the process described on our online documentation (Make sure you select the correct version of Qlik Sense)
If anything goes wrong during an upgrade or a patch the first thing to do is to check the installation logs to find out the root cause.
Those logs can be found in the Temporary folder of the user running the Installer. You can also access it by opening your explorer and type %temp% in the address bar.
By sorting those files by date you should find out the latest logs written by the installer before failing.
If you open those logs and search for "error code 1603" you should find the root cause of your issue.
Below is an upgrade failure from Qlik Sense June 2017 Patch 2 to Qlik Sense November 2017.
The installer failed and by search the string "error code 1603" we could find the below information:
Action 16:20:01 12 Uninstalling patch Action 16:20:10 95 Patch was uninstalled with exit code: -1 CustomAction CA_UninstallPatch returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)By looking at the detailed error above the error code 1603 we can identify that the installer failed, for some reason, to uninstall the patch installed on Qlik Sense June 2017.
Actual solution in this case was to uninstall the Patch and re-run the installer.
Important: Before doing a new Upgrade or Patch attempt make sure that you have identified the root cause of the issue and acted accordingly.
In addition make sure that the installer rolled back correctly and left an operational environment because running a new attempt on a broken Qlik Sense environment could make things worst than they are.
Below is a list of article with Symptoms / Solution regarding Upgrade and Patch failure:
- Qlik Sense June 2017 and later - Unable to Upgrade/Patch - Patch was uninstalled with exit code: -1
- Upgrade or Installation of Qlik Sense fails at PostgresSQL MSI
- Qlik Sense 3.0 upgrade fails during install on invalid Service Credentials
- Failed upgrade of Qlik Sense due to superuser password validation
- Upgrade to Qlik Sense June 2017 or higher fails because of special characters in superuser password
Have a Question?
Search Qlik's Support Knowledge database or request assisted support for highly complex issues.Submit a case
Experiencing a serious issue, please contact us by phone. View phone numbers and hours by region.