Running the Qlik Sense installation package prompts that an upgrade is going to be performed, even if the previous version of Sense has been successfully uninstalled and the host operating system rebooted.
An orphaned Qlik Sense patch from a previous version may be preventing a fresh installation. This is a known defect, ID QLIK-82643.
Use RegEdit to go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and remove QlikSenseEnterprisePatch. You should Export the current key first as precaution. This will remove the lingering patch and allow the install. However, any files that exist in the non-patched version will need to be pasted back to the appropriate Sense folders.
Please be careful (or rather avoid this path) when going the route of removing QlikSenseEnterprisePatch from the registry via: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
The problem with this is that it does not reinstall any files that existed before the patch. The reason this is an issue is when you go to re-patch/update the machine, the updater will fail, as it can not find required files that should exist on the server. If you go this path, you must know beforehand all files that will need to be re-created in every single Sense folder, that exists in the non-patched version. Often patches will remove or rename files, and as such this KB Article should be followed with care and only by a Sr. Support Engineer who knows which files will need to be pasted to each Sense folder after removing the registry key -- for each version of Qlik Sense.
- Qlik Sense 11.24.3 is installed
- The patch will not uninstall
- Support goes into the registry and deletes QlikSenseEnterprisePatch
- Support tries to patch the system again
- Patch installer FAILS
- Validation of \Repository\PostgreSQL\9.6\share\locale\sv\LC_MESSAGES\psql-9.6.mo failed: Could not find file 'C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL\9.6\share\locale\sv\LC_MESSAGES\psql-9.6.mo'
- Validation of \Repository\PostgreSQL\9.6\share\timezone\Canada\East-Saskatchewan failed: Could not find file 'C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL\9.6\share\timezone\Canada\East-Saskatchewan'.
- When uninstalling Nov2017 Patch 1 properly, by uninstalling it instead of deleting the registry key, the uninstaller will re-create the "psql-9.6.mo" and "East-Saskatchewan" files, which existed in Nov2017 11.24.1 (original build). When trying to update via a patch, and these files are now missing, the patch will fail. This occurs for all Nov2017 patches and a few other releases.
Verify if a Qlik Sense Patch was previously installed. This will not be automatically uninstalled when the main software is removed.
Open Programs and Features
and choose View installed updates.
Review the Update list for an orphaned Qlik Sense Patch. Uninstall the patch and re-start the Qlik Sense installation.
This may also fail with:
10/9/2017 3:15:57 PM - Command line:
10/9/2017 3:15:57 PM - Initialized install runner
10/9/2017 3:15:57 PM - This will update Qlik Sense from Qlik Sense June 2017 version 11.11.1 to Qlik Sense June 2017 Patch 1 version 11.11.2
10/9/2017 3:15:57 PM - Update failed: Ensure that Qlik Sense June 2017 is installed before you install Qlik Sense June 2017 Patch 1.
Manually editing the registry may be necessary to resolve this. Please contact Qlik Support first to see if the defective behaviour has been resolved.