In QMC > Virtual Proxies > Advanced, there is an option called "Extended security environment".
What does this option do? What's the difference between turning it on and off?
When this option is on(checked), Qlik Sense Proxy Service(QPS) includes additional information(OS, device, browser, and IP.) in security header. With this additional header, Qlik Sense Engine can then distinguish sessions from different devices/browser/IP despite from the same user. Then Qlik Sense Engine only allows one session to be opened for the same app.
Please note, the user still can access to different devices/browsers to open the different apps with the same user account.
When this option is off(unchecked), QES is unable to distinguish the different origin of the connection. That allows a user to re-use an existing session across different browsers/devices/IP.
Example: let's see how QES works different in both situation:
- User A logs into HUB and opens an App using his desktop computer.
- In QES, Session #1 is created for this action.
- User A switches to his laptop and opens the same App.
- Now depending on the setting, QES works in two different ways:
- "Extended security environment" is off(unchecked): QES reuses Session #1 to serve both devices. As a result, any selection User A made on the laptop will reflect to desktop and vice versa.
- "Extended security environment" is on(checked): QES detects the request is from a different origin and terminates Session #1. On User A's desktop, a dialog shows up to inform this termination. Session #2 is created to serve the user from his laptop.(*)