Please be aware that this document is not supported and is meant only as a guide. Individual environments may require adjustments for things to work correctly. This will/may require altering and customizing code shipped with Qlik Sense Enterprise or outside of Qlik Sense. All customization is done at your own risk and is not covered by Qlik Support or Maintenance Agreements. Please backup any files prior to modification.
In Qlik Sense June 2017, Qlik Sense repository database version change from 9.3 to 9.6
. Consequently, additional configuration steps are needed when doing an upgrade in an environment where PostgreSQL runs outside of Qlik Sense.
At the outset this document covers the following scenario:
- Windows OS
- Use of Linux, either in RDS / cloud or on-prem is not covered. There is a robust knowledge base on the web for PostgreSQL for Linux
- Generic PostgreSQL usage
- There will not be coverage of Stream replication, SSL, or any other advanced configuration options possible in PostgreSQL
- (Assumed), in order to point to PostgreSQL independent of Qlik Sense, you will need to be running Shared Persistence
Before beginning the upgrade
As with all upgrades, it is essential to have a backup that passes a sanity check. The key elements which are needed to restore an entire Qlik Sense site are as follows:
- The underlying Qlik Sense Repository Database (be it in PostgreSQL or the Qlik Sense Repository Database service)
- The apps
- The certificates
- The Repository Content used by Apps
Backing up the Qlik Sense Repository Database
- Stop Qlik Sense Services in the cluster
- On the server running PostgreSQL, prepare a .TAR file backup.
- Sample command: cd / & mkdir Temp & "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.3\bin\pg_dump.exe" -h localhost -p 4432 -U postgres -b -F t -f "c:\Temp\QSR_backup_%date:~-4,4%%date:~-10,2%%date:~-7,2%.tar" QSR
- It is a good idea to rename this file so that it isn't over-written. a filename like QSR_backup_pre_june_2017_upgrade.tar is clear enough
- Assumes that PostgreSQL is installed in the default path
- Sanity check this file to ensure that is has a non-zero filesize.
Backing up the Apps used by Qlik Sense
- Navigate to the Share path and copy the Apps sub-folder.
- This path is printed in the Service Cluster section of the QMC if this was recorded prior to stopping services
Backing up the certificates
Backing up the Repository Content used by Apps
- Similar to the section for apps, the path where these files live is in the StaticContent folder on the Share path