This article explains how the selections in embedded sheets in storytelling works for Qlik Sense September 2017 and prior releases.
Notice that starting from Qlik Sense November 2017 the behavior has changed
. Qlik Sense exports embedded sheets maintaining the selections that they have in the storytelling as reported in the help page:
- Qlik Sense September 2017 and prior releases
It is Working as design.
This will be corrected in the future to make the behaviour more intuitive, but it will take time and a release date is not provided.Feature Request:
- ID: 1641 - Export new selections made on story
For story slides containing only snapshots, the behaviour is intuitive. Snapshots are representations of objects that are imported as they are seen in Sense. If there are selections applied and a snapshot loaded, the story will show the table with all its filtered data. Likewise, when a story is exported to PDF or PowerPoint, the objects will include all its selections.
This behaviour is different with embedded sheets.
Embedded sheets have a special filter application system:
- If you make a selection (eg Italy) and import an embedded sheet, Qlik Sense creates a bookmark with that selection and applies it to the embedded sheet in storytelling.
- If you make another selection (eg Germany) and import a second embedded sheet, another bookmark is created and applied to the second embedded sheet.
- You will have two pages in the storytelling, each with the data of a country.
- You may expect that by exporting, you get a sheet for Italy and one for Germany; Unfortunately this is not the case.
- Sheet bookmarks can not be applied sequentially.
- In practice, the result is that the all the embedded sheets have the same selections, and it is the selection of the sheet opened before the export.
- The story export has the selection when you embed the sheet not the one you select during navigating the story
Example: If you select the first Qlik Sense sheet in the Hub, select Italy, and open a story and export, all embedded sheets will be filtered for Italy.
If you go to the second sheet, with Germany selected, and then open a story and export, you will see everything filtered for Germany.