How to: Increase number of QlikView Reload EnginesArticle Number: 000032595 | Last Modified: 2019/06/07
Failed to allocate new QlikView Engine. Retrying! Max usage reached. Current usage count=4 of 4 (of type non-reader)
By default, the QlikView Distribution Service will allow a maximum of 4 simultaneous engines (QVB.exe) for reloads and distribution. If tasks are set up to overlap beyond those 4, no engine can be launched and the task cannot be executed right away.
In QlikView 11.20 and 12.00, this will lead to a task failure after a timeout.
In QlikView 12.10 and upwards, the tasks will be queued and handled once a new engine is available, but this may lead to too long wait times to be feasable
With a Publisher license enabled, it is possible to increase the number of engines allowed, with a recommendation of:
- The first consideration is that you should never allow for more Engines than the Server has CPU cores -1. So for a Server with 8 CPU cores, we should never sat a value higher than 7.
- No more than 8 Engines without further consideration of your setup*
- 6 CPU cores are available on the machine: a maximum of 6 engines should be allowed
- 24 CPU cores are available: allowing 8 engines at once is possible
*Additional informaiton regarding limitations and what to take into account once moving past the recommended 8 engines, can be found in Scaling the QlikView Publisher.
How to configure:
- In the QlikView Management Console, navigate to System > Setup > and expand the Distribution Service.
- Open QDS@hostname
- Navigate to Advanced
- Find QlikView Engine: Max number of simultaneous QlikView engines for distribution:
- Modify the value in the available text box and press apply.
Have a Question?
Search Qlik's Support Knowledge database or request assisted support for highly complex issues.Submit a case
Experiencing a serious issue, please contact us by phone. View phone numbers and hours by region.