NP Sense Connection Fails when TLS Requirements for NPrinting 17, 18 older versions not metArticle Number: 000032567 | Last Modified: 2020/02/25
- NP Sense connection fails when TLS requirements are not met. Normally TLS 1.0 is not disabled in the registry.
- If this TLS 1.0 version is disabled for any reason, this will cause NP Sense connections to fail.
- NPrinting is looking for TLS 1.0 in its programmed code. Therefore, if it is disabled, any Qlik Sense connections from NPrinting will fail with error "cannot open file" as well as "The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive. --> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The client and server cannot communicate, because they do not possess a common algorithm"
- NPrinting 17 and 18 (up to June 2018)
- Feb. 2019 GA (Initial Release)
A registry key would have been explicitly entered in order to explicitly disable TLS 1.0 causing NPrinting to stop working
Please upgrade to NPrinting February 2019 SR 1 or higher versions to remove the necessity of taking the steps below for versions of NPrinting 2019 February GA release and lower versions.
Reference: See Platform Security in the following link: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/April2019/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/System-requirements_server.htm
! Before making computer system registry changes, please backup your server and server registry before doing so. Incorrect registry settings may adversely impact and damage the health of your Windows Server.
Windows 8 Client, Windows 2012 Server
Registry path: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL]
Add the following key:
Microsoft Reference Guide: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/security/tls/tls-registry-settings
To resolve this, simply re-enable TLS 1.0 on the NPrinting server if it has been explicitly disabled in the registry.
TLS can be re-enabled by setting the following registry entry.
Registry path: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.0\Client]
Microsoft Reference Guide: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/friis/2016/07/25/disabling-tls-1-0-on-your-windows-2008-r2-server-just-because-you-still-have-one/
Have a Question?
Search Qlik's Support Knowledge database or request assisted support for highly complex issues.Submit a case
Experiencing a serious issue, please contact us by phone. View phone numbers and hours by region.