Why do you have to use Qlik ODBC Connector package instead of ODBC drivers?
This article underlines few facts to be taken into considerations before using Qlik ODBC Connector packages over the native ODBC drivers. Environments:
- Qlik Sense Enterprise, 1.1 and higher
The Qlik ODBC Connector Package
provides a means for the Qlik Sense or QlikView to load data into an app from databases that are accessible with supported ODBC drivers.
See our List of Supported Database for ODBC Connector
, including for example Apache Hive, Cloudera Impala, IMB DB2, Micosoft SQL Server, MySQL Enterprise, etc..
Why use a Qlik ODBC Connector package instead of ODBC drivers?
This article underlines few facts, the list is not exhaustive, to be taken into considerations before using Qlik ODBC Connector packages over the native ODBC drivers.
With Qlik ODBC Connector package
1. There is no requirement to set-up a DSN before making a connection
2. It offers a dynamic single UI e.g. for example, depending on selected data source, a port number option would be added or not.
3. Qlik ODBC Connector package is included in Qlik sense (since version 3.0).
However, during Qlik Sense installation silent mode, there is an option to exclude this package from Qlik Sense installation
Whithout the Qlik ODBC Connectors
1. It requires to set-up a DSN before making a connection. If a multi node environment, the system DSN must be created on all nodes.
2. For performance, when retrieving data, “ODBC as a DSN Based Connection
” is faster than "Qlik ODBC Connector package"