The Facebook Graph API is a really great service but inevitably has some bugs and quirks which might make you question your QlikView data model.
Incorrect Comments Count
We have noticed that the comments_count field on the FeedItems table matches the number displayed on Facebook correctly but is not actually the correct number of comments.
For example here we have a comment on the Internet Explorer Fan Page which apparently has 20 comments:
Qlik Web Connectors shows the same value:
However, when we click the above link to 'View All 20 Comments' and count them, in this we find that there are actually only 15 as can be seen counting them below:
And the API (and therefore Qlik Web Connectors) actually only returns 13:
The point here is that in some rare cases, the data returned by the API may not perfectly match what is seen on the Facebook (or indeed other sites such as Twitter, YouTube etc.). This may be due to a number of reasons:
- The data the API is looking at may not yet have synced with the changes on the live website.
- Bugs in the API might be causing issues. If you have some technical experience we would recommend looking on the Facebook Bug Tracker to see if there are any issues which might explain the behaviour you are seeing.