The "Create New App" button is missing from the Hub:
There are two potential causes for this style of Qlik Sense site.
- Security Rules
- Node Configuration
Out of box in Qlik Sense, any non-anonymous user can create apps. This is driven by the default security rule named CreateApp
For an Administrator, they can validate whether security rules are the cause by navigating to the Audit
section of the QMC and doing an audit for the specific user, like so:
In this screenshot, the administrator has done the following:
- Selected the Target Resource of Apps (since they are concerned about app creation)
- They've specified the user who is affected (administrator)
- They've specified the Environment as the Hub (since the Hub experience is where the behavior presents)
- They've toggled the Privileges to audit button and selected the Create action
- They've pressed Audit
From the results, they can see that there is a rule which valid but disabled (signified by the yellow color).
For more reading on the audit functionality please reference Qlik Sense How to: Use the Audit function to see what access user has to apps in the hub, and what rules that are in affect
as well as help.qlik.com's coverage
At this point, the administrator needs to determine whether this is expected given their security rule configuration. From the Qlik Support standpoint, there is not a single answer to who to enable app creation for. If this result is unexpected, then double click on the C
icon then find the rule which is disabled:
Double click on the rule and toggle the Disabled
Once that change is made, access the Hub again and validate that the Create new app
button is displayed.
The other reason why the Create new app
button would not be displayed would be due to the configuration of the nodes.
To validate this, navigate to the Nodes
section of the QMC. From there the administrator can toggle the Node Purpose
column selector and display the Node Purpose
of each node:
From Qlik Sense help:
This setting is defined in the QMC on each node that is added, and the effects are as follows:
- Production: this server is intended to support users to access apps but not create them. This means that when a user connects to this node, the button to create an app in the Hub is not displayed to the user.
- Development: this server is intended to allow users to create apps but not serve the normal user traffic for users consuming published apps. In this case, the create and edit capabilities are enabled, but the server will not be considered when load balancing user traffic.
- Both: this setting allows both activities to occur on the node. This means that both normal user traffic is handled and users can create apps.
In order to allow for app creation, the Node(s) with Engine(s) being used needs to be set to Both
nodes will not allow app creation from the Hub regardless of security rule configuration.
If app creation is required, then double click on the affected node(s) and change the Node Purpose
As of Qlik Sense April 2018, there are no other impacts of the Node Purpose
setting outside of custom configured Load Balancing Rules