QlikView Server intermittently and for no obvious reasons hangs, gets unreachable for a limited time or restarts.
Typical symptoms are among the Among the symptoms several or all of below symptoms can be found over reoccurring issues.
- QlikView Management Console (QMC) becomes unreachable
- Users can not open new sessions towards QlikView Server
- Current users sessions can continue using QlikView
- Hardware resources are not fully allocated
- QlikView Server restarts
- QlikView Session Recovery is enabled
- Phoenix detected error can be seen in QlikView Server event logs
QlikView Session Recovery feature uses bookmarks to store user selections and object states when a user session is terminated. The bookmark is applied when the user returns, to make the user return to the state where the previous session was terminated. This bookmark is referred to as a LASTKNOWNSTATE bookmark, and is a bit different compared to normal user and document bookmarks. LASTKNOWNSTATE bookmark is generated every time when a user session is terminated. This operation includes storing all current selections and evaluating the layout state for all objects in the document. The time for evaluating the layout state depends on the number of objects in the document and the complexity of their conditional show expression.
- User sessions being terminated
- User sessions being recovered
- Object aggregations
Two possible solutions are introduced in QlikView 11.20 SR13.
- Improved session recovery bookmark creation (Bug: 70338)
In QlikView 11.20 SR12 or earlier the session recovery bookmark is handled in a process thread with same priority as all other calculation processes. In QlikView 11.20 SR13 or later the session recovery bookmark is created in a process thread with lower priority than other process threads, and thereby session recovery no longer interferes or blocks process time for other processes.
- Disable layout state in session recovery bookmark (Bug: QV-1456)
QlikView 11.20 SR13 introduces a server side setting that allows disabling layout state information from the session recovery bookmark. With the layout state disabled, only selections are saved in the session recovery bookmark. This means that a session will not recover to the sheet where the session was close, but instead to the application's default sheet. A bookmark without layout state information is smaller and will not require as much CPU time to be processed.
NOTE: This setting change only affects the session recovery bookmark, it does not affect any other document related bookmark.
- Edit C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\QlikViewServer\settings.ini
- Add EnableApplyLayoutState=0 in [Settings7] section
- Restart all QlikView services