Temporary bookmarks are created in the .shared files next to the .qvw documents in QlikView Server to support functionality like session state, "Document chaining", "Send bookmark as email" and other features. These bookmarks will by default be deleted from the .shared file after 7 days, counting down from it's "last used" timestamp.
To enable the deletion of temporary bookmarks, a setting needs to be activated in QlikView Server. Its value is a timeout value indicating how many days each temporary bookmark will be kept from their last used date
This setting is available in the following versions:
- QlikView Server 10 SR5 and later
- QlikView Server 11 SR1 and later
To enable this setting, do the following:
Note: Removing temporary bookmarks from the .shared file will not decrease the size of the .shared file. This is by design and a consequence of its binary format.
- In the Windows Services Management console, stop the QlikView Server service (QVS.exe)
- Locate the Settings.ini configuration file for QlikView Server. It is by default located in the application data folders for QlikView, which can in the following location for Windows Server 2008 and higher: C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\QlikViewServer
- Open the Settings.ini file in a text editor
- Located the node [Settings 7] in the file. Directly under that, add the following row, where N is the timeout value (integer; days before bookmark is deleted): ServerTempBookmarkDayTimeout=N (To disable the deletion on the temp bookmark use value '-1')
- Save and close the Settings.ini file
- In the Windows Services Management console, start the QlikView Server service (QVS.exe)